Sunday, November 26, 2006

[ Please note this post was retroactively edited on March 12th 2007 ]
Having completed six years of Education in Biomedical Engineering, and almost 3 months of research in Electrophysiology, I feel well poised to make comments about my experiences with being educated in this field. What started as an alternative route to become a geneticist when I was in my high school, turned into a field I have eventually come to complete my Masters in.

When I fist walked into the Biomedical Engineering Department at Manipal, I was extremely impressed by the 3 people I met there (Dr Niranjan UC , Dr Rajendra Acharya and Ganest Bhat ( that was his name if my memory serves me right) ) and received some very loud assurances from one of the professors, Dr Rajendra Acharya that it would potentially set me off on the path I was looking to get into further down the road. I was informed that once I had completed my Bachelors degree I could go for my higher studies in the field I wanted to get into which was Genetic Engineering. Management Consulting in Biotech and Pharma seem more like what I would like to do now. Change of plan!

However, 4 years passed by while I shared a love hate relationship with Biomedical Engineering and finally applied to Masters and Doctoral programs in Biology, Genetics in the United States.
All my applications to the field I wanted to study fell flat on their faces. I needed more training and coursework before any of the programs would accept me. This is May 2004 and I decided to apply to Drexel University which promptly admitted me ( and with a partial fellowship to boot!). Torn between staying back to pursue some research work to strengthen my application for next year and leaving for Drexel, I chose the latter ( these choices are like coin flips, in retrospect, it's 50-50 ). Enter USA and Drexel University. Drexel had one of the typical Biomedical Engineering departments that you would find in many parts of the US and in a few other countries around the world, a legacy of the Whitaker Foundation. Read on to find out the saga of the educated pioneer Biomedical Engineer ( or is it guinea pig ?)

Post a Comment: